The way we see it, prenatal vitamins have a big job. Supporting your fertility so you and your partner can create the healthiest little life possible is no small task, and it’s contingent on all the right nutrients in all the right amounts. That’s because science makes it clear that key micronutrients really do play a role in fertility. If you’re researching how exactly that works, and what exactly you should be taking, here’s what to know about the right vitamins and minerals for healthier sperm and eggs.
- Improving egg quality is possible, and specific nutrients have been shown to do just that.
- Women hoping to conceive should look for prenatal vitamins that include vitamins B6, B12, E, K2 and folate.
- Healthy sperm is also supported by certain micronutrients.
- In addition to a well-rounded, high-quality prenatal vitamin, couples hoping to conceive should take steps to actively improve their health with regular exercise, a nutritious diet, minimal stress, and limited alcohol.
- Fertility is highly individual, but the simple act of a daily prenatal vitamin that has the right nutrients in the right quantities can have a profound effect on the health of both sperm and egg.
Nutrients to Improve Egg Quality
Egg quality is a great big topic, one we’ve covered before. But in the interest of brevity, let’s cut right to the chase. Recent studies show that optimal nutrition can actually improve egg quality for a greater chance of conception. And five nutrients in particular stand out:
Nutrients for Healthy Sperm
Just as women benefit from specific nutrients to support their fertility, so do men. Our men’s prenatal vitamin is made with 14 handpicked ingredients, all backed by science to support sperm health. But six ingredients – those making up our proprietary Vitality Blend – are particularly impressive.
- L-Carnitine, an amino acid derivative, is linked to higher fertilization rates and healthier sperm quality – namely, motility.
- L-Arginine, another amino acid, supports healthy sperm production and can also improve sperm motility. We include 200mg per serving.
- Coenzyme Q10, or CoQ10, is a doctor-approved antioxidant that can support optimal sperm motility and helps improve fertilization rates in just a few weeks.
- L-Taurine is another antioxidant that works across the entire body, but plays a particularly important role in sperm motility and morphology. Notably, low levels of L-Taurine have been linked to male factor infertility.
- N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, or NAC, is a semi-essential amino acid that supports various sperm parameters, including count, motility, and morphology..
- Shilajit, is an ancient Ayurvedic adaptogen with pretty impressive qualities. It may help increase sperm count, motility, and serum testosterone in men who have been diagnosed with infertility. And as a fun little perk, it’s also been linked to increased energy and endurance, improved athletic performance, better concentration and brain health, and more.
Fertility is highly individual, and what works for one couple may not help another. But leveling the playing field as much as possible means starting with the lowest-hanging fruit. Fertility experts around the world recommend taking steps to clean up your lifestyle – that means eating well, sleeping well, exercising consistently, cutting back on booze and avoiding any recreational drug use, and filling those nutritional gaps with the right nutrients. If the plan is a baby, get started on those prenatal vitamins asap, but be choosy! There are a lot of options on the market that don’t include the vitamins and minerals shown to truly support healthier eggs and sperm, or have them in token quantities that don't actually benefit you. Understanding what to look for is a step in the right direction, and so is knowing the difference between boilerplate marketing copy and what a company is truly doing to deliver a high-quality product.
At Beli, our focus is entirely on efficacy, safety, and purity. We don’t cut corners, and we look to science to formulate our prenatals for both women and men. From our perspective, that’s the only way to ensure you and your partner are getting exactly what you need for the healthiest eggs and sperm and the greatest chance of a healthy conception, pregnancy, and baby.